Saturday, July 28, 2012

Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl



Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
Publisher: Little, Brown and Company
Publication: December 1, 2009
Source: Library

There were no surprises in Gatlin County.
At least, that's what I thought.
Turns out, I couldn't have been more wrong.
There was a curse.
There was a girl.
And in the end, there was a grave.

Lena Duchannes is unlike anyone the small Southern town of Gatlin has ever seen, and she's struggling to conceal her power and a curse that has haunted her family for generations. But even within the overgrown gardens, murky swamps and crumbling graveyards of the forgotten South, a secret cannot stay hidden forever. Ethan Wate, who has been counting the months until he can escape from Gatlin, is haunted by dreams of a beautiful girl he has never met. When Lena moves into the town's oldest and most infamous plantation, Ethan is inexplicably drawn to her and determined to uncover the connection between them. In a town with no surprises, one secret could change everything.

 The Skinny: An interesting story that does not live up to the hype

The number of positive reviews that I have read about Beautiful Creatures is astounding. Each one discusses how this series is one of the best and that the characters and plot are unique, amazing, and unforgettable. Whenever I come across a book that is surrounded in hype, I often wonder how it will turn out for me. Some are fantastic, like my love for Harry Potter, and some just leave me wondering if I read the book the same way other read it, like Beautiful Creatures. This is a good book, and I did like reading it, but my reading experience did not make me want to squeal with excitement. The book is too long and just goes on and on and on x 10.

When Ethan begins to dream about a girl whom he has never met, he is shocked to discover that the new girl in town is the same one who stars in his nighttime shenanigans. They become friends, learn each other’s secrets, and embark on a journey to learn more about a mystery.

I admit that I was intrigued when our starcrossed lovers met and their story began to develop. I will also admit that I became increasingly frustrated with the amount of unnecessary information that consumed the story and diluted the interesting bits. By the time I finished the book, I was just glad that I got through it. It’s a good story, but not as good as everyone describes.

Garcia and Stohl wrote this story together, which I think is amazing. I can’t stand group projects, but these two talented ladies have somehow written a book together. It really is an incredible task, and I commend their ability to collaborate and create.



6 comments:

  1. I have yet to read this one, because like you, I don't think it will live up to all the hype it has gotten over the years. Thanks for the honest review though :) One day, I will finally pick it up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry to hear that you didn't like this one as much as everyone else. I'm hoping to pick it up soon, since the movie comes out next year. I love to read the book and then watch the movie.

    Thank you for the review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually have this series, but haven't read it yet. I'm planning to read before the movie premieres. I hope that I enjoy it, but I'm cautiously optimistic. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I bought this one on sale a couple weeks ago. I'm kind of disappointed to hear that it doesn't live up to the hype. :( I've heard it mentioned that the setting is kind of Gothic, which is a huge part of my interest in it! Thanks for the honest review. :)

    Randi @ Cardigans, Coffee and Bookmarks

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. I haven't heard of this book, but it sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have the whole series but only read the first so far. I enjoyed it but maybe not quite as much as others too. I was also in a semi-reading slump at the time though so I am not sure if they factored into it. It took me a month to read. Thank you for your honest review!

    ReplyDelete